Applying the foregoing to your case and considering that you mentioned that your daughter was not recognized by her father, she should not have a middle name. This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. The said Rule covers cases which involves cancellation or correction of entries in the civil register relating to birth, marriages and deaths, among others which may not be administratively corrected under Republic Act No. As we know, a legitimate child has the right to bear the surnames of the father and the mother (Article 174, Family Code). Although the categories may have different target readers, they all have the same mission: to educate, empower, and inspire Filipinos to contribute to our country even in small ways. I am an 18-year-old illegitimate child using the surname of my mother. WHO says virus cases in Europe are slowing down, Velasco sworn in as lieutenant colonel in Army’s reserve force, Mysterious shiny monolith found in otherworldly Utah desert, California inmates paid millions in pandemic unemployment relief scam, Lacson seeks realignment of P63-B budget of 3 govt agencies, Article 151 of Family Code not applicable to petition for settlement of estate, Retirement benefits of part-time private school lecturer, A child’s simulated birth may presently be rectified. The omitted middle name shall not be supplied anymore. If illegitimate and not acknowledged by the father; Different from the middle name entered in the birth certificate; Middle names of the child and the mother in the birth certificate are wrong; Interchanged middle and last name; Compound middle names like Dela Cruz, Quintos Deles, Villa Roman While it is true that our laws are silent with respect to middle names of illegitimate children, our Filipino custom or tradition is to add the surname of the child’s mother as the child’s middle name (In the Matter of the Adoption of Stephanie Nathy Astorga Garcia, 454 SCRA 541). 9255 (March 19, 2004 onwards) and is acknowledged by the father and AUSF is executed, the child’s middle name shall be the surname of the mother. In case the middle name was initially left blank in the Certificate of Live Birth, a supplemental report should be filed in the local civil … Is it possible to let my daughter use his surname instead, and then adopt my surname as her middle name? Questions for Chief Acosta may be sent to [email protected], Get the latest news from your inbox for free. Go back to the main article: An Ultimate Guide to an Illegitimate Child’s Rights, Birth Registration, and Legitimization. 8 (c), Republic Act (R.A.) No. Dear PAO, Good day! Going to your second question about the possibility of letting your daughter use the surname of your present boyfriend and then use your surname as her middle name, the same may only be possible if you and your boyfriend get married and then adopt your child. On the other hand, an illegitimate child who is carrying his mother’s maiden last name but now wants to use his adoptive father’s last name shall follow the process of legal adoption. (Memorandum dated June 30, 2009) Who Shall File. Correction of illegitimate child's middle name in official records Anybody have experience changing names in birth cert, sss, etc? FilipiKnow is a portmanteau of two words: "Filipino" and "knowledge." Sabi sa akin sa Local Civil Registrar, ang labas nito is magkapatid kami ng nanay ko. When a child is illegitimate, he is required to use the mother’s surname unless the child was expressly recognized by the father, according to Republic Act 9255. Can I do it? Further, no less than our Supreme Court ruled in one case that an illegitimate child who is not recognized by the father bears only a given name and his mother’ surname, and does not have a middle name (Philippines vs. Capote, 514 SCRA 76). It shall be executed by the following: BY THE MOTHER (or guardian in the absence of mother) if the child is 6 years old and below; BY THE CHILD HIMSELF if he is 7 years old to 17 years old, with the attestation of the mother (or guardian in the absence of the mother) Editor’s note: Dear PAO is a daily column of the Public Attorney’s Office. We hope the foregoing discussion shed light on the matter. Before the middle name can be supplied, the applicant or the parent should submit an Affidavit indicating the entry omitted (i.e., the middle name) and the reason for its omission, among other required documents. I worked as a part-time private school lecturer for 23 years until I retired on my 65th birthday. Is it true that an association is now required to submit an official e-mail and cellphone number with the Securities and Exchange Commission... Dear PAO, Our law on adoption expressly allows the adoption of an illegitimate child for the purpose of improving or raising his status to that of legitimacy (Sec. 8552). 3. I am a single parent and I have questions concerning the legal name of my daughter. Eg..Mhark instead of Mark. This needs a court action. 9048 as amended by Republic Act No. LONDON: The World Health Organization says the coronavirus pandemic has “slowed down” in the past week although death rates... SPEAKER Lord Allan Velasco has been sworn in as a lieutenant colonel in the Philippine Army's Reserve Force. Mimi. If you wish to use content for commercial purposes, such as for content syndication etc., please contact us at [email protected], An Ultimate Guide to an Illegitimate Child’s Rights, Birth Registration, and Legitimization. Since you know that the American sense of "middle name" is in fact a part of the "first name" in the Philippines, you need to learn about middle name in the Philippines my dear child. Thus, her birth certificate should be corrected by deleting the entry on the middle name line. In September of 1990, the United Nations General Assembly approved and adopted the Declaration of the Rights of the Child. The House... SALT LAKE CITY: Deep in the Mars-like landscape of Utah's red-rock desert lies a mystery: A gleaming metal monolith... LOS ANGELES: California prisoners including high-profile serial killers and murderers on death row received hundreds of millions of dollars... SEN. Panfilo Lacson has sought to delete P63 billion from the budget of three national agencies and realign the... Dear PAO, AUSF is a document allowing an illegitimate child to use the surname of the father. It is only when the illegitimate child is legitimated by the subsequent marriage of his parents or acknowledged by the father in a public document or private handwritten instrument that he bears both his mother’s surname as his middle name and his father’s surname as his surname, reflecting his status as a legitimated child or an acknowledged illegitimate child. Ngayon ko lang nalaman after 20 years, bawal gamitin ang middle name katulad ng mother ko. Kung first name o day and month of birth date e pwede na application sa civil registrar. What is disturbing about illegitimacy in the Philippines, apart from the social stigma, is that illegitimate children do not enjoy the same rights under the law enjoyed by legitimate ones. The public document or AUSF executed within the Philippines shall be filed at the Local Civil Registry Office (LCRO) where the child was born, if the birth occurred within the Philippines. An illegitimate child whose affiliation is not recognized by the father bears only a given name and his/her mothers surname and does not have a middle name. When a child is recognized, there will be an annotation on the child’s birth certificate that states, “Acknowledged by Father pursuant to RA 9255.”