2001-Fri Nov 27 17:40:29 EST 2020  Birds can be like toddlers: They are both very oral and like to check things out by putting them in their mouths. Birds are highly sensitive to chemicals and other toxins, so it is your duty to ensure that your bird’s environment is safe. If birds are exposed accidentally to fumes from these pans or appliances, they should be brought to a well-ventilated area, such as the outdoors, immediately to help clear their airways. Birds who may chip away over time at a lead-painted windowsill, lick a metal bell toy, nibble on the soldering of a stained glass Tiffany lamp or chew on a metal zipper are constantly ingesting heavy metals and can potentially become intoxicated. Here are perhaps the top 10 toxins for which I treat bird patients in my veterinary practice. © When ingested in large enough quantities, these metals can damage nerves and cause vomiting, maldigestion, neurologic signs, such as imbalance and clenched toes and even seizures. Also, what may be toxic to one bird species may not be to another. If the video doesn't start playing momentarily, Print this chart as a reminder of what plants and chemicals are toxic to your pet bird . Owners are welcome to listen on their phones to the appointment in progress as it goes on in the exam room and should feel free to ask questions as the doctor comes up with recommended plans for treatment. Even some older bird toys, especially the clappers on metal bells, have been found to contain lead. Check out our collection of more than 250 videos about pet training, animal behavior, dog and cat breeds and more. Though some foods and objects are clearly potentially toxic to birds, there are others that might not be so obvious. We are alerting our clients that due to one of our employee’s family members having COVID, we have decided to take precautions and close the Center for 2 weeks. 2001-Fri Nov 27 17:40:29 EST 2020  Keeping people safe while caring for pets during the COVID-19 outbreak. When ingested in large enough quantities, these metals can damage nerves and cause vomiting, maldigestion, neurologic signs, such as imbalance and clenched toes and even seizures. Birds who may chip away over time at a lead-painted windowsill, lick a metal bell toy, nibble on the soldering of a stained glass Tiffany lamp or chew on a metal zipper are constantly ingesting heavy metals and can potentially become intoxicated. Our new tool will narrow down more than 300 breeds for you. As an avian veterinarian, I treat birds every week for getting into toxic substances. As an avian veterinarian, I treat birds every week for getting into toxic substances. All chemicals are potentially harmful to birds and if you keep this thought in your mind, you'll stand a better chance of keeping your pet bird safe and out of harm's way. Despite some variability in species susceptibility to certain toxins, as well as a lack of scientific studies proving the toxicity of certain substances in birds that are definitely toxic to mammals, there are some items to which birds should never have access. Onions — cooked, raw or dehydrated — contain sulfur compounds that, when chewed, can cause rupture of red blood cells, leading to anemia (inadequate numbers of red blood cells). Consequently, it’s best not to take chances in birds who have a higher metabolism than most mammals and who could potentially be affected by very small amounts of this chemical. The friendly and inquisitive LaPerm has an easy-care coat that comes in a variety of colors and patterns. Despite some variability in species susceptibility to certain toxins, as well as a lack of scientific studies proving the toxicity of certain substances in birds that are definitely toxic to mammals, there are some items to which birds should never have access. See Additional Information ›. Garlic contains a chemical called allicin, which in rare cases also can cause anemia in birds. We’ve got the skinny on which foods are OK to feed him. Let us know! Want to give your pup yummy, low-calorie treats? These products should never be used around birds, and if birds are accidentally exposed to them, they should be moved to well-ventilated areas immediately. Onions also can irritate a bird’s mouth, esophagus and crop, and may lead to ulcers. Caffeinated drinks such as coffee, tea and soda are tempting to share with your bird, but even a few sips of these beverages can be extremely hazardous to your feathered pal. The Center’s veterinarians will be available for after-hours emergency phone calls, as usual, and sick pets needing medical care will be referred to the Katonah Bedford Veterinary Center, where they will be treated under our veterinarians’ guidance, as they usually are after business hours. © Also, what may be toxic to one bird species may not be to another. So, if you think your bird may have ingested any of these substances, speak up to your veterinarian immediately, as it could be the difference between life and death. Vetstreet does not provide medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. In general though, the rule is for bird owners is: Just say no to nonstick. Here are perhaps the top 10 toxins for which I treat bird patients in my veterinary practice. Wonder which dog or cat best fits your lifestyle? Powered by Brightspot. Vetstreet. Pet owners will not be allowed inside the Center. Let’s face it — what bird doesn’t love to munch on a bunch of salty chips, popcorn, crackers or pretzels? In general, the darker the chocolate, the higher the percentage of cacao (which are the seeds that contain theobromine and caffeine) and the more toxic it is to your pet.