Rely on your eyes, sense of smell and taste buds to determine if your mozzarella has gone bad. After the expiration date on the bread, that "inhibitor" will no longer keep the mold from "blooming" and it will rapidly appear and multiply. This question contains such an “unwarranted” assumption. Just curious also is cheese on nachos melted a bad form of eating cheese. Let me explain. Step 1. Unknown January 16, 2016 at 2:58 AM. Remember, cheese is living (thanks to the bacteria), and like any living organism, it can get sick and smell bad. If your cheese has some surface mold, try trimming 1/4-inch off of the side which is growing mold. Don’t! Quora used to have a topic label for questions that contained assumptions. My daughter(we) did a Science Fair Project on Mold Growth in Bread and this was some of the information we found. Replies. My bf realised he ate a piece of moldy cheese and was flipping out thinking he was going to die, he ate a price and didn't realise it he said it tasted crappy, then when we came back after our nap, we discovered green mold. Either you have an exceptionally acute sense of smell, or those restaurants are serving ‘fake’ parmesan. Hard cheeses like Parmiggiano-Reggiano and Pecorino Romano sometimes have mold on the rind, but since you're only eating the interior of the cheese, you can peel it off with a paring knife. Cheese is good if it smells fine, feels normal, and isn’t covered in horrifyingly highlighter-pink splotches or carpets of black mold. You can get sick on moldy bread. It's not always obvious when food has gone bad, but blue mold and a funky smell are usually clear signs that something belongs in the trash. Thank you. This is a gross generalization, of course, but you get my point: cheese is a living thing and the window of “good” versus “no longer good” depends on the individual cheese, the environment in which it lives, and how well it is cared for. Visually inspect your mozzarella cheese for signs of mold. That is unless you're dealing with blue cheese… Be sure to keep the knife out of the mold, so it doesn't contaminate other parts of the cheese. If the bread smells bad/moldy, DO NOT eat it! Mold forms when cheese begins to be broken down by bacteria. Reply Delete. It is natural for cheese to want to grow mold. Cut off at least 1 inch (2.5 centimeters) around and below the moldy spot. So you can cut away the moldy part and eat the rest of the cheese. Mold generally can't penetrate far into hard and semisoft cheeses, such as cheddar, colby, Parmesan and Swiss. Reply. Most cheese mold is green or blue in color and will be clearly visible to the naked eye against the off-white color of the cheese. Appearance – If you are unfamiliar with cheese, you may get worried at the first site of small amounts of surface mold and feel the need to discard your cheese.